Monday, March 8, 2010

Traditional White Bread

I've been making this bread since before I got married. I'm happy to say I think I have this one down to a science and it is a regular staple at my house, especially in the winter. It makes two large loaves so often we will make one of them into cinnamon bread. This is a great bread for sandwiches, cinnamon or french toast.


Traditional White Bread

6-7 cups all purpose flour
3 TBS sugar
1 TBS salt
2 TBS butter
5 tsp yeast
2 1/4 cup very warm water (110* to 120*)


Mix 3 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt, butter, and yeast in large bowl. Add warm water. Beat on low 1 minute, scrape bowl. Beat 1 minute on medium, scrape bowl. Stir in remaining flour 1 cup at a time until until dough is easy to handle. Knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Put in greased bowl and let rise about 1 1/2 hours or until double.
Grease bread pans. divide dough and shape into loaves. Cover and let rise 40 to 50 minutes or until double. Bake at 350* 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and butter tops. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: