Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Coconut Pecan Frosting

This is my favorite frosting. I could eat it with a spoon like pudding, like candy, like...frosting. This was my dad's favorite. He loved it so I worked on getting the recipe down to a science... and scientifically speaking.. I'd say I'd win the science fair.. no kidding.. hands down. I don't make it often because well, I'd eat the entire pan before even sitting.. AND, its a bit time consuming but sooooooo worth it.


Coconut-Pecan Frosting

3 egg yolks
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans.

Beat egg yolks and milk in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in sugar, butter and vanilla. Cook over medium heat* about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally**, until thickened. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool to room temperature and stir before spreading on cake.

* make sure that your heat isn't turned up too high. It can scorch the bottom of your pan and ruin your frosting.

** I don't take a chance..after a few minutes I stir constantly the remaining time to avoid scorching on the bottom of the pan.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I love you Nan. Please Come live with me and be my personal chef. :)